SAFTEA Defensive Shotgun 1
The goal of the Second Amendment Firearms Training & Education Associations “Defensive Shotgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of shotgun safety, various types of shotgun, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A person new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of skills that are critical in the use of a firearm – in this case a shotgun – to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Shotgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to shotguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
A number of topics will be covered in “Defensive Shotgun 1 - Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Shotgun. These include but are not limited to:
- Safe handling of your firearm.
- Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
- Basic components of a shotgun
- Types and Operation of shotguns including pump, semi-automatic, break-open, etc.
- Working With A Natural Defensive Stance
- Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
- Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
- Clearing Common Stoppages
- Progressive Shooting Drills
- Definition of Cover and Concealment
- Use of Cover
- Shooting From Low and High Barricades
- Selecting a Shotgun and Ammunition
- Cleaning and Maintain your Shotguns
- A modern, serviceable shotgun, (pump or semi-auto shotgun recommended) in 12, 16 or 20 gauge
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Sturdy Shoes, Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo.
- 50 shells (7 1/2 or #8 shot) and 25 shells that are #5 shot.
- Shotshell carrier (either weapon mounted, belt or shotshell pouch)
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Baseball Cap
Course length is a full day, typically 8-10 hours including a 1-hour lunch break. There are short breaks throughout both the classroom session and shooting range drills.
April 16, 2022 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Cost $150