Defensive Strategies, LLC Policies
Defensive Strategies, LLC strives to be the best firearms and personal protection company on the planet. Below are our training policies and procedures which are within NH State Law, Federal Law and the guidelines set out by the New Hampshire Department of Education.
Refunds / Deposits:
We have a limited number of seats for each class. Please make sure when you sign up for a class you are able to attend. When you register for a class and then cancel or don't show up that means someone else could have taken your seat in that particular class. A deposit is required to hold your spot in a group class.
Defensive Strategies, LLC shall provide a student with a full refund, of all monies paid within 30 days if:
(A) The school procured the student's enrollment as the result of any false representations in the written materials used by the school or in oral representations made by or on behalf of the school; or
(B) The student withdraws from the program or course on or before the first day of instruction, a full refund, less an administrative fee, not to exceed $150.
(C) The student does not show up for the scheduled class shall receive a full refund, less an administrative fee, not to exceed $150.
If Defensive Strategies, LLC decides cancellation is necessary due to low attendance, weather, safety issues etc, we will make every effort to inform students in a timely manner, and a full refund will be issued, or the client may choose to reschedule in to another class at their option. Private instruction clients are required to make a deposit equaling 50% of cost of class. Class minimum size is usually 4 people and most likely the class will be cancelled if we have less than 4 people signed up, for seminars the minimum number is 10 attendees.
You can purchase Gift Certicates directly on our site or from various media outlets. Purchase your "Gift Certificate" in your loved one's name, and we'll email you the Gift Certificate redeemable towards any scheduled or private class. Please allow 24 hours to receive Gift Certicate in PDF format ready to print. Gift Certificates are valid for 5 years from date of issue and are not refundable if unused. If you purchase a Gift Certificate from various media outlets you are purchasing it from them, not Defensive Strategies, LLC and any refunds or issues arising from that purchase is between you and them.
Inclement Weather Cancellations
Unless otherwise notified you should assume that classes will occur regardless of weather conditions. There is so much that goes into the planning, venues, instructors, resources and scheduling of all our classes that we will very rarely cancel a class due to weather conditions. So you should assume that unless you hear from us that the class you signed up for will occur regardless of weather conditions.
In the event, Defensive Strategies does reschedule a class due to weather conditions, you will be notified of the reschedule date as soon as possible, if you are not available for when the class is rescheduled we will put you into other scheduled classes. Regardless of weather conditions, if the class goes on as scheduled and you do not show up to class you will forfeit your deposit.
Student Conduct & Minors
Student conduct that causes material or substantial disruption to the class environment, interferes with the rights of others, presents a threat to the health and safety of students, employees, and visitors, violates other board policies or is otherwise inappropriate is prohibited. Students are expected to maintain appropriate classroom behavior that allows instructors and staff to perform their professional duties effectively and without disruption.
Students will conduct themselves in a manner fitting to their age level and maturity and with respect and consideration for the rights of others while on school property and/or while attending or engaged in school activities. Students conducting themselves outside these guidelines maybe dismissed from the class.
Anyone attending class under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Defensive Strategies, LLC will not be responsible for minors while in class and should it become necessary for the instructor to remove a minor from class, a parent or guardian will need to be available. Minors also cannot legally sign our liability waiver, so a parent or guardian also need to be available to sign the document.
Even though Defensive Strategies, LLC facilitates instructor level classes, students should understand that Defensive Strategies, LLC is not the legal issuing authority. We facilitate instructor classes for the Second Amendment Firearms Training & Education Association (SAFTEA) and the National Rifle Association of which we only can then recommend to both issuing authorities the students to certify as instructors who have passed the requirements set forth by them. Both SAFTEA and the National Rifle Association can both deny any student(s) that have been recommended by Defensive Strategies, LLC at their own discretion for any reason. If for some reason either SAFTEA and/or the National Rifle Association deny an instructor candidate that we have facilitated in an instructor class, Defensive Strategies, LLC cannot be held legally liable for any refunds or any other loss the student may experience. Both SAFTEA and the National Rifle Association are the final authority in all matters regarding instructor certifications.
At Defensive Strategies, LLC safety, especially on the range is our number 1 priority. We reserve the right to ask anyone not observing the safety rules or behaving in a belligerent manner to leave the range or the classroom in order to secure the safety of other students. This includes individuals under the influence of controlled substances, alcohol etc. All students will sign a waiver of liability before class. Students will also be required to certify in writing that they are not a prohibited person as listed below.
All instructors at Defensive Strategies, LLC are certified in Basic First Aid, CPR and AED.
We use dummy ammunition for all classroom work for training in loading and unloading etc. Students carrying firearms will be asked to leave their firearms in their vehicles until after class or in the safe that is usually provided by the instructor. NO EXCEPTIONS ~ This includes instructors conducting the class!
~ We have an absolute NO LIVE AMMUNITION IN THE CLASSROOM for all firearms classes.
~ We have an absolute NO GUNS IN THE CLASSROOM policy for all Reloading classes.
For safety reasons of our students Defensive Strategies, LLC uses only new commercial ammunition. We do not and will not ever use reloaded or commercial re-manufactured ammunition due to liability reasons. Most ammunition we use is usually brass cased and occasionally (depending on availability) we might be using new steel or aluminum cased commercial ammunition. Defensive Strategies, LLC relies on the ammunition manufacturer for reliability and safety of their ammunition.
Courses, Test and Passing Grades:
NRA & SAFTEA courses are performance based courses, Candidates must possess the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for the training they are signing up for. Attitude being the most important. Some classes do have prerequisites and/or qualifications that you must pass in order to take the course. If you're not sure please contact us. You do not pay and automatically pass training, You pay to have the opportunity to pass.
Courses, Venues & Prices
All classes, courses and seminar prices are based on our cost, cost of materials, ammunition and other factors that may change depending on venue, location, date and availability etc. Every class has it's unique requirements and cost which is why you may see the same class listed at different pricing at different locations.
Pregnant or Nursing Mothers
If you are concerned you should always discuss with your Doctor about shooting while pregnant or nursing. For pregnant women there are 2 concerns, noise and lead exposure. While lead exposure for one or two classes is minimal and not usually of great concern - shooting on a regular basis builds up lead exposure in the body which can be passed on to the nursing infant - so moderation is the key and minimizing lead exposure as much as possible. For pregnant mothers, noise exposure is more of a concern in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters when the fetus' hearing has been developed and can cause hearing loss in the fetus. During the 1st trimester the babies hearing has not been develop and usually safe to take a class. Since everyone's situation is unique, always ask your Doctor if it is safe for you to take a class.
Tips to reducing Lead Exposure:
- Shoot lead-free ammunition. Brands like GECO & ICC use lead-free bullets AND primers.
- Don't load your own magazines or if this is not possible, wear gloves while doing so.
- Use a face mask to limit inhaling lead dust.
- Keep your hands away from your face, mouth and nose.
- Shoot at an outdoor range if possible.
- Immediately wash all exposed skin with COLD and soapy water. Cold water keeps the pores of your skin closed and small, while hot water opens the pores and may encourage toxins to absorb into your skin rather than washing off.
- Shower as soon as possible. Clean your hair and body, head to toe.
- Remove range clothes as soon as possible and wash them separately. If possible, use a de-lead detergent designed to remove heavy metals.
- Do not collect spent brass.
- Ask someone you trust to clean your firearm to avoid exposing yourself to lead, solvents, and other contaminants.
- Only eat and/or drink in areas where lead or lead-containing products are not being handled or processed AND after you have washed your hands and face thoroughly.
Under Federal law Defensive Strategies, LLC can not train any individuals who:
- Are Convicted felons that have not been annulled or pardoned.
- Are under indictment in any court or have been convicted for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
- Are fugitives from justice
- Use or are addicted to any unlawful controlled substances
- Have been adjudicated as a mental defective or have been committed to any mental institution.
- Are illegal aliens
- Have been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions
- Have renounced their United States citizenship
- Are under a court order restraining them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner
- Have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- Are under the influence of any substances that may hinder or impede their actions in handling a firearm safely.
Non US Citizens, Non-Immigrant Aliens, Green Card Holders - Proof of Residency Status Required!
Defensive Strategies, LLC requires proof of residency status for all students that are not US citizens. Green Card Holders are permanent residents and are legally allowed to own, buy, possess and train with firearms in the United States. Non-Immigrant Aliens here on HB1 or F1 Student Visa's are prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business OR have a valid waiver signed by the Attorney General of the United States as stated in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(3). Therefore any a Non-Immigrant Alien who wishes to train with Defensive Strategies, LLC must produce a valid Hunting License from any of the 50 US States.
Persons permitted & prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition by Federal Law.
A non-immigrant alien is someone who is in the United States on a temporary basis, usually on a work, student, or tourist visa. Under the provisions of 27 CFR 178.97, non-immigrant aliens are prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms and ammunition while in the United States unless they are a citizen or national of one of the countries listed in the Visa Waiver Program (below) or meet any ONE of the below listed exceptions in section 922(y)(2) of the GCA.
- Possess a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired. There are several on-line sites where a prospective hunter can get a license. Any state is fine as long as it is valid.
- Were admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes
- Is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States.
- Are an official of a foreign government or are designated as a distinguished foreign visitor by the Department of State, or>
- Are a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
- Has received a waiver issued by the Attorney General of the United States or Department of Justice and obtaining approval under section 922(y)(3).
Permanent resident aliens and aliens lawfully admitted to the U.S. without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program) do not fall within the prohibition, and therefore do not need to meet one of the above exemptions.
The following 38 countries are Visa Waiver Program participants:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom**
No exceptions will be made to this policy. If you are from a foreign country and do not fit the criteria outlined above, you will not be able to train at Defensive Strategies, LLC.
Commitment to Client Confidentiality
Defensive Strategies, LLC is a group of experienced professionals dedicated to bringing the Highest quality of service to our clients. We strongly believe in our ethical and legal obligation to protect our clients' privacy. The firms commitment and approach to client confidentiality distinguishes us as a leader in firearms instruction and investigations.
By the very nature of our work, we are called upon to manage many of the most personal, private, and sensitive issues in a clients' life. We understand that they expect us to honor the confidentiality of all practices, procedures and information learned during the normal course of doing business.
We fully anticipate to be held to those expectations. In fact, we commit to exceed them. Defensive Strategies, LLC takes seriously its commitment to client's confidentiality and it is truly what sets us apart.
Defensive Strategies, LLC operates in full compliance and cooperation with all local, county, state and federal laws. We are not affiliated with any County, Local, State or Federal Law Enforcement Agency.
Class Payment Options
When you sign-up for a class with Defensive Strategies, LLC you will get payment options depending on the class. All classes except some seminars like Refuse to be a Victim require a deposit ranging from $40 to $100.
You will have the option to pay by Credit Card or PayPal.
FOR SECURITY PURPOSES NO CREDIT CARD DATA IS STORED ON THIS SITE OR ELSEWHERE.
On The First Day of the Class.
Final payment for the class is due on or before the day of the class. Partial payments can be made by logging into your account and clicking on "My Classes" then Payments. If you are making the final payment at the beginning of the class it must be in cash ~ no exceptions. Occasionally the instructor conducting the class may have the capability to accept Credit Card payments in the classroom, please inquire before class if your instructor will have this capability if paying by Credit Card.
NONDISCRIMINATION: TITLE IX GRIEVANCES GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
1. Any complaint from or on behalf of any person served by Defensive Strategies, LLC should be be brought to the attention of the instructor. If the complaint has not been satisfactorily remedied, the grievant should submit the complaint in writing to our main office address as listed on this website.
2. The immediately responsible person will investigate the complaint and report his/her findings and recommended remediation in writing to the grievant within five (5) business days. A copy of the report shall be sent to the designated person who will maintain a file on all grievances.
3. If the grievance has not been remedied to the satisfaction of the grievant, he/she may then submit the complaint, with all previous communications attached, to the following parties, in the order given. Each party will have the time indicated in which to investigate and report its findings and recommended remediation.
Any person may also contact:
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Division of Higher Education-Higher Education Commission
Office of Career School Licensing
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, N.H. 03301
Kimberly J. Kenneally
Office for Civil Rights, Region I Boston, MA: Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, US Department of Education, or Director of Education
Defensive Strategies, LLC does not discriminate in its educational programs, activities or employment practices on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or handicap under the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act of 1967, Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975.
Reinstatement Policies are required per the NH Department of Education. Any student that has been dismissed may reapply six months after the time of dismissal. Students who wish to be reinstated must repeat the application procedure.
Defensive Strategies, LLC reserves the right to change/update these policies anytime as needed.